Maths tutor melbourne
I have been worked as a maths tutor Melbourne for high school and University students and provides one-to-one and student-organised group tutoring in person or online since 1997 in Melbourne.
I am familiar with the present VCE maths study designs (2016 – 2021), IB maths Diploma Programme curricula, SAT II subject tests for maths. I tutor the key maths theories and skills stipulated by the study designs into tangible pieces and guide students to use these maths theories and skills in solving the past exam questions. I detail the school-assessed coursework (SAC) or internal assessments into tangible tasks, such as forming hypothesis, rationalising experimental designs, interpreting results and discussing errors and questions. After working with me for a period of time, most of students normally can get A+ in both SAC and the end of year exams.
VCE SUBJECTS I TEACH:
Foundation Mathematics (Unit 1, 2), General Mathematics (Unit 1, 2), Mathematical Methods (Unit 1-4), Further Mathematics (Unit 3, 4), Specialist Mathematics (Unit 3, 4), Physics (Unit 1-4), Chemistry (Unit 1-4), Biology (Unit 1-4).
IB SUBJECTS I TEACH:
IB Maths SL & HL, IB Physics SL & HL, IB Chemistry SL & HL, IB Biology SL & HL.
Summary of the mathematics study design (2016 – 2020)
The new mathematics study design (2016 – 2020) for the first time separates Specialist Mathematics Units 1 and 2 from General Mathematics Units 1&2. This gives three relatively independent maths subjects.
General Mathematics Units 1 and 2 provide for a range of courses of study involving non-calculus based topics for a broad range of students and may be implemented in various ways to reflect student interests in, and applications of, mathematics. They incorporate topics that provide preparation for various combinations of studies at Units 3 and 4 and cover assumed knowledge and skills for those units.
Mathematical Methods Units 1 and 2 are completely prescribed and provide an introductory study of simple elementary functions, algebra, calculus, probability and statistics and their applications in a variety of practical and theoretical contexts. They are designed as preparation for Mathematical Methods Units 3 and 4 and cover assumed knowledge and skills for those units.
Specialist Mathematics Units 1 and 2 comprise a combination of prescribed and selected non-calculus based topics and provide courses of study for students interested in advanced study of mathematics, with a focus on mathematical structure and reasoning. They incorporate topics that, in conjunction with Mathematical Methods Units 1 and 2, provide preparation for Specialist Mathematics Units 3 and 4 and cover assumed knowledge and skills for those units.
Further Mathematics Units 3 and 4:
There have been minor edits and refinements throughout. In addition:
- the General Mathematics topic Computation and practical arithmetic has replaced the topic Financial arithmetic with respect to coverage of assumed knowledge and skills for the Core area of study in Further Mathematics
- for Recursion and financial modelling students are expected to be able to apply recurrence relations from first principles for
The module Geometry and measurement has been revised to:
- remove the use of Simpson’s rule for estimating the surface area of irregular shapes
- remove the interpretation and use of contour maps
- remove the area of lune and lens and applications
- remove determination of the great circle distance between any two points on the surface of the earth using
Mathematical Methods Units 3 and 4
There have been minor edits and refinements throughout, however no significant changes have been made to the areas of study and topics, or to the outcomes and key knowledge and key skills from the consultation draft to the final revised study.
Specialist Mathematics Units 3 and 4
There have been minor edits and refinements throughout, in addition:
- graphs of regions in the complex plane have been removed
- the application of integration to problems involving the exponential distribution has been removed
- limiting equilibrium when a body is at rest has been removed
- linear combinations of random variables have been included
- hypothesis testing for a population mean has been included
For more information, please feel free to contact me any time.